The original rolling stock of the network
Locomotive 02 + 20 T Mallet N°476
Constructed by the Maschienenfabrik Heilbronn in 1906 for the network (unique model). This locomotive was in service until the closure of the forest network and was completely restored by the Abreschviller Forest Railway Association in 1969, 1978, 2000 and 2013 (n°1).
Locomotive 030 T Decauville 1926 N°1835
Series locomotive, adapted by the constructor to the 70 cm gauge track. This locomotive has been in service since the beginning and was completely revised by the Association in 1970 and 1992 (n°2).
3-axle diesel locomotive built by COFERNA
(Railway and Naval Constructions) in Les Sables d’Olonne in 1953. It arrived as spare parts and was assembled by the ONF. It ran until 1966. restored by the Abreschviller Forest Railway Association in 1968 for the opening of the tourist exploitation, the original Willème engine was replaced by a new Perkins engine. The VOITH hydraulic gearbox was overhauled in 1973 and in 2004.
These wagons were old dumpers from the Donon military railway (1914), which were used to transport munitions. During logging exploitation, they were used to transport equipment, timber (logs) and occasionally tourists. 3 of them have been fitted by the Abreschviller Forest Railway Association in 1967 and 1968 for the tourism make-over (installation of benches + sidewalls and roof at the flat beds). The 4th wagon has practically remained in its original state.
5 wagons for 8 persons used for the workers’ transport
Restored, they served occasionally (with the Decauville).
Wagon with windows for 6 persons with platform
This wagon was used as a 1st class carriage during logging operation (a coal-fired stove as heating). History says that “Kaiser Wilhelm II” used it when he visited the Donon during the 1st World War.
Wagons for tools, with open bin, enclosed and wood trains
These wagons were also preserved to work on the lines: 2 wagons for tools, 3 wagons with open bin, 1 enclosed. For the “historical” wood trains: 8 trucks for the timber with the necessary equipment to load the logs (hoists-winch).
It was constructed in 1925 from a carriage type NN. A jack fixed under the car can take the weight of the car on the rails to enable it to turn and face over the opposite direction at the end of the line.
It was constructed in 1930 as workers’ transport (12 places). This machine made from a “freehand” drawing is named after its engine.
Fixed steam engine from the Sawmill of the Forge
This huge “Richmond” type engine was kept in good condition by the Abreschviller Forest Railway Association whilst awaiting its restoration.
The rolling stock acquired since 1968 by the Association
Steam locomotive 030 with separated tender
Constructed by JUNG in Jungenthal in 1944. It is an engine of type HF 110 mass constructed by JUNG and HENSCHEL for the German army (the Russian front): outer frame, this engine has a variable gauge (60 to 76 cm). It had been acquired by Austria after the war. It ran on the line PREDING-WIESELSDORF-STAINZ from the Steiermarkirsche Landesbahn,to pull standard line wagons, on carrier bogies of 76cm gauge. It had been acquired with a tender from the original series in 1970 and overhauled in 1975-1976 (n°4) (factory n° 10 120).
This engine came up for its ten-year review in 2005. Important works were required on the firebox and on the boiler before putting into service.
Steam locomotive 020 T
Constructed by Orenstein and Kopel in Nordhausen in 1911. N° 4720 is on exhibition at the train station terminus in Grand-Soldat.
Locotractor 020 Gmeinder-Kaelble of type Heeresfeldbahn HF 50
With variable gauge, built for the german army in 1944.
In the background, you can see the Decauville, and between them the green lounge wagon with its wood stove of the time.
Locotractor 020 Deutz with connected rods constructed in 1956
Enlosed wagons « Wengen » (n°41-42)
Constructed in 1927 by SIG Neuhausen for the Wengenalpbahn (WAB) in Switzerland (line Lauterbrunnen-Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg-Grindelwald). They were bought in 1969. The transformation of the gauge from 80 to 70 cm was done in the workshop of Interlaken. These wagons were used on a rack and pinion line and further adjustments have been done in our workshop (brake modification, head cabin modification, etc…).
In 1999, 4 new closed wagons were bought from this same network
Their construction is identical to the SIG Neuhausen 1930 but the WAB modernized them in the 1950’s, removing the side doors to have a corridor.
- Carriages « Orléans » (n°27-28) constructed by Ets Cadoux for the Floralies in Orléans (line with a gauge of 60 cm). Bought in 1970, they were transformed for a 70 cm gauge in our workshop.
- Carriages « Diebolt » n°25-26. Constructed in 1970 by Ets Diebolt in Marmoutier on the bogies of the network, based on plans designed by the Abreschviller Forest Railway Association.
- Let’s remember the standard gauge locomotive 02 + 20 T Mallet from the former Avricourt-Blâmont-Cirey railway closed in 1969. This engine built by HENSCHEL in 1911 was the last standard gauge Mallet in France. It was saved by the Association in 1970 and was entrusted to the Doler line tourist railway Cernay-Sentheim.
Orient Express Carriage
Since the 30th June 2009, the Abreschviller Forest Railway Association has been honoured with the arrival of the “Orient Express” carriage. It was built as a training project by the students and the teachers of the Professional School “D. Labroise” and made from one of the “Wengen” carriages which was in a state of disrepair. This carriage, considered as a first-class carriage, is proposed for a nostalgic trip in a pure Art Deco style. It is possible to couple it to a classic train if a sufficient number request it.
Stock at disposal of the Abreschviller Forest Railway Association
- • Locotractor 020 diesel monocylinder, series Montania constructed by Orenstein & Koppel in Nordhausen in 1909 N° 4383.
- • Fixed Steam engine Heinrich-Lanz, constructed in Mannheim in 1907 N° 18 690.